In preparation for my 47th birthday, I have been revisiting and rethinking the list of 5o things I want to be, do or have by my 50th birthday. As I mentioned in the very first page I wrote for this list:
…this was always intended to be a living document to be revised as “necessary”…
Since my list has remained virtually unchanged for the last 15 months, and a birthday approaches, it is time to do my first major revision. After all, life changes, circumstances change. As we live and learn and grow and evolve and unfold, our desires for the future change too. It is neither necessary nor desirable to keep myself pinned down to thoughts I had nearly a year and a half ago.
As before, I intend to cross things off the list as they are accomplished and if there is a follow-up be/do/have I can add, I will add it. Otherwise, I will add another goal to the bottom of the list. As before, the intention is to keep pushing myself to learn, grow and evolve. And especially to become the man God made me to be.
One of the most important things I must keep in mind for this list is this: Everything here must be something where I can control the outcome. For example, I don’t want to say “finish the Denver qualifying course for American Ninja Warrior” because I don’t know if I can even run the course as a walk-on. So for that one, I’m only saying “try to compete…” because that attempt is completely within my control.
- Read 50 books I’ve never read before.
- Watch 50 classic movies I’ve never watched before.
- Complete my CCNA Security certification.
- Get my weight down to 190 pounds or less for 7 seven straight days.
- Sustain a healthy weight for the remainder of the time until my 50th birthday.
- Participate in five 5k races with a better finishing time in each subsequent race.
- Try to compete in the 2018 American Ninja Warrior as a walk-on in the Denver qualifier.
- Earn my first $1 in a side business.
- Earn $100 in a single month in a side business.
- Earn $1,000 in a single month in a side business.
- Earn $10,000 in a single month in a side business.
- Celebrate my 10th wedding anniversary.
- Ride my exercise bike a total of 3,000 miles.
- Build a savings account balance of $2,500.
- Build an investment account balance of $50,000. (Dec 31, 2015 balance $35,000)
- Complete my bachelors degree.
- Earn a masters degree.
- Earn the Frederick Community College Associate Degree in Emergency Management.
- Do 100 pushups in a row.
- Do 20 pullups in a row.
- Bench press 300 pounds.
- Squat or leg press 400 pounds.
- Hike to the top of Pikes Peak.
- Hike to the top of two other 14-ers in Colorado.
- Do the Incline at Manitou Springs five times, getting better every time.
- Participate in a Tough Mudder.
- Participate in a Spartan Race.
- Speak to an audience of more than 1,000.
- Read the Bible cover to cover in two different versions.
- Learn to speak conversational Spanish.
- Learn to speak fluent Spanish.
- Go on a Mexico mission trip with Restoration.
- Go on another mission trip of any kind with Restoration.
- Participate in two men’s Bible studies.
- Enjoy at least three live stage plays or musicals.
- Write at least 30 articles for Fountain Valley News.
- Introduce myself to 1,000 former strangers.
- Petition for membership in the local Masonic lodge.
- Enjoy an Alaskan or Caribbean cruise.
- Help 1,000 people on their own journeys through their subscription to this blog.
- Run an old time radio podcast with 100 subscribers.
- Make enough income from a podcast to break even on upgraded Podomatic account
- Make $100 profit in one month on my podcast from subscriptions or donations
- Gain a formal internship at Restoration
- Lead a Bible study at Restoration
- Launch a worship school at Restoration
- Preach at Restoration three times
- Record and release a worship CD
- Attain a Project Management Professional certification
- Attain a CISSP-Associate certification
09/21/2014 – Speak to an audience of more than 10.
09/27/2015 – Speak to an audience of more than 100.
03/04/2016 – Enjoy three symphony performances.
06/24/2016 – Complete 30 Muniversity credits through CML.
06/24/2016 – Attend two CML annual conferences.
Informed on Sept 20, 2014 that Nineveh Shore had broken up.
Thus, I have removed and replaced these goals with new ones.
Play 20 shows with Nineveh Shore.
Write five songs with Nineveh Shore.
Removed during the first major revision of the list on August 23, 2015. These can always be added back to the list if I desire.
Complete my CCNP Security certification. (As I continue to move toward the education and training for eventual full-time ministry, this certification assumes less and less importance in my future.)
Complete my CCIE Security certification. (As I continue to move toward the education and training for eventual full-time ministry, this certification assumes less and less importance in my future.)
Have a visibly sexy 6-pack. (Part of removing this is realizing it will happen naturally as a byproduct of achieving the various other health and wellness goals. And part is realizing I know longer need this sort of affirmation for my own ego.)
Read three other major spiritual or philosophical books; e.g. Bhagavad Gita. (This was originally intended to broaden my perspective on all things philosophical, but I have come to the conclusion that for now, I need to focus on better understanding the Bible…especially as I prepare for ministry.)
Participate in an amateur bodybuilding competition. (This type of ego gratification is simply not on my radar any more. Nor is spending the money it takes to enter and participate.)