In preparation for my 48th birthday, I have been revisiting and rethinking the list of 5o things I want to be, do or have by my 50th birthday. As I mentioned in the very first page I wrote for this list:
…this was always intended to be a living document to be revised as “necessary”…
It is time for another revision. After all, life changes, circumstances change, our goals can change. As we live and learn and grow and evolve and unfold, our desires for the future change too. It is neither necessary nor desirable to keep myself pinned down to thoughts I had nearly a year ago.
Even more importantly, I have dropped the thought that I must always have 50 things on the list at any given moment. For this revision, I have just listed the things I want to be, do or have in my current mindset. I could break one or two down and use the milestones along the way such as my weight goal. But after a point, this is just mindlessly adding things to a list to fill out the list.
As before, I intend to cross things off the list as they are accomplished and if there is a follow-up be/do/have I can add, I will add it. Otherwise, I will add another goal to the list. As always, the intention is to keep pushing myself to learn, grow and evolve. And especially to become the man God made me to be.
One of the most important things I must keep in mind for this list is this: Everything here must be something where I can control the outcome. For example, I don’t want to say “finish the Denver qualifying course for American Ninja Warrior” because I don’t know if I can even run the course as a walk-on. So for that one, I would only say “try to compete…” because that much is within my control.
- Read 50 books I’ve never read before.
- Watch 50 classic movies I’ve never watched before.
- Complete my CCNA certification (either R&S, Security or Cyber Ops).
- Get my weight down to 275 pounds or less for seven straight days.
- Get my weight down to 250 pounds or less for seven straight days.
- Get my weight down to 225 pounds or less for seven straight days.
- Get my weight down to 200 pounds or less for seven straight days.
- Sustain a healthy weight (200 pounds or less) for the remainder of the time until my 50th birthday.
- Earn my first $1 in a side business.
- Earn $100 in a single month in a side business.
- Earn $1,000 in a single month in a side business.
- Earn $10,000 in a single month in a side business.
- Celebrate my 10th wedding anniversary.
- Build a savings account balance of $2,500.
- Build an investment account balance of $50,000. (Dec 31, 2015 balance $35,000)
- Complete my bachelors degree.
- Start a masters degree.
- Earn the Frederick Community College Associate Degree in Emergency Management.
- Do 100 pushups in a row.
- Do 20 pullups in a row.
- Ride the exercise bike a total of 2,000 miles.
- Hike to the top of Pikes Peak.
- Hike to the top of two other 14-ers in Colorado.
- Do the Incline at Manitou Springs five times, getting better every time.
- Speak to an audience of more than 1,000.
- Read the Bible cover to cover in two different versions.
- Go on a mission trip with Restoration.
- Enjoy at least three live stage plays or musicals.
- Enjoy an Alaskan or Caribbean cruise.
- Run an old time radio podcast with 100 downloads per month.
- Make enough income from a podcast to break even on upgraded Podomatic account.
- Make $100 profit in one month on my podcast from subscriptions or donations.
- Gain a formal internship or a Director position at Restoration.
- Lead a Bible study at Restoration.
- Launch a worship school at Restoration.
- Preach at Restoration three times.
- Attain a Project Management Professional (or Associate) certification.
- Attain a CISSP-Associate certification.